Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I want to install a aftermarket remote starter in a 2014

Customer Question

hi, I want to install a aftermarket remote starter in a 2014 corolla CE (automatic and key start). Been advised that there is issues with this model and remote starters, and why toyota doesn't carry an OEM unit for this model. please advise. We live in Canada and it's winter soon. thanks.
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: not the question I'm asking.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2014 corolla CE
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: automatic and key start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope just want to see if a remote starter (aftermarket) can be installed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kavey replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

You could install a remote start. It would require an interface module to bypass the immobilizer and the problem people usually complain about is that it kills the engine when you open the door so you have to restart it when you get in it.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I contacted the parts department at the toyota dealership in town and he said that toyota does not have an OEM starter bc there is a safety issue, after pulling the unit they off off the shelves since 2013'ish with no solution in sight. They also said that they don't recommend installing an aftermarket one either again citing safety issues. Thoughts? The starter I have is a Prostart 3 in 1, one way starter. Thoughts??
Expert:  Kavey replied 1 month ago.

The reason toyota pulled it is because there is no good way of keeping your car from being stolen when remotely started. On an aftermarket system it is achieved by making the car die when the door is opened so it has to be restarted. I cant really speak to WHY toyota pulled the part vs programming some type of further security in to it but that will be your limitation with the aftermarket system.