Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a low milage 2014 prius. (14,00). I want to leave on

Customer Question

I have a low milage 2014 prius. (14,00). I want to leave on vacation and garage the car. How is the best thing to do or will it stay charged for a week or so?
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have left it three times, twice it ran out of battery and had to be towed or recharged by a service, one time it seemed to stay charged, not sure why.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I didn't personally, the dealer couldn't find anything wrong (twice) I certainly am no expert and a voltmeter is not something I know what to do with. Should I take it in to Toyota for a check?
JA: What is the model of your '14 Prius?
Customer: excuse me for being so stupid, the prius book says it is a plug-in hybrid! nothing else. i have a charger that I use. It does not get a lot of use! but I really like it.
JA: What year is your ''14 Prius?
Customer: 2014
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is what I need to know. I can I make sure it stays charged while I am gone, this will be about 7 days. Anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

You should be able to leave the car unplugged in storage for a few weeks without any problems. The batteries are designed to hold up to the smal amperage draw for about a month or so. As long as the headlights, dome light, a cell phone charger, or any other accessory isn't left on, there is a very small (less than 1 milli-amp) draw from this vehicle's electronics when it is turned off.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Make sure the key isn't close to the vehicle as well as that could cause an amperage draw when the vehicle is off. 15 feet away or so should be enough to prevent it from keeping the car on.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Please don't forget to rate- that's how Just Answer compensates me for my time.