Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I had my 2011 scion xb serviced today and the mechanic said

Customer Question

Hello, I had my 2011 scion xb serviced today and the mechanic said there was a dark oil on inner cv axle. He didn't notice any problem, couldn't locate where it came from and wiped off the oil and just reported it to me after saying my car is in great condition....so I wanted to investigate his claim to find out more on the internet...nothing wrong seems to be happening with my car...he said he will see if it returns the next time I bring my car in for service...what should I think....
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: hi, I get it serviced every six to eight months, around 5,000 miles.
JA: What year is your '11 Eight?
Customer: scion 2011 xb
JA: Are you fixing your xB yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: so far I am just trying to figure out if this small amount of dark oil is something that just got there by driving on the roads.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: it is a scion 2011 xb, I haven't had any problems with it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: well, the mechanic at the shop couldn't locate a problem just reported to me the oil he found
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Since the oil has been reported to you as a dark color, The most likely cause would be the grease is seeping out of the inner Constant Velocity ("CV") joint boot. Further inspection is needed there, as the seepage may also be coming form a tiny tear (via a rock or stone impact), or a pinhole. This merits a close diagnosis, because if there is a small tear, and it gets bigger, all of the grease will leak out of the the joint and it will become damaged due to lack of lubricant.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.