Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

It has a new egr on it and codes cleared but keeps bringing

Customer Question

it has a new egr on it and codes cleared but keeps bringing back failure any ideas
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: egr insufficent flow
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1997 camey 2.2
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no customer car she has had 4 different people working on this car no one can find the issue but has charged her each time I won't till I can find the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! Sorry for the delay. I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Is the code that keeps coming back P0401?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
your answer is blurred please resend
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no it just says egr insufficent flow
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Ok. On the 2.2L engine, an extremely common fail item that can set this code is a faulty VSV for EGR. It's located on the rear of the engine, about midway down, behind the manifold. Best access will be through the passenger's side wheel well. Inspect the vacuum lines for any cracks, holes or disconnections. Inspect the electrical connector for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the inspections check ok, replacing the VSV for EGR will solve the problem. Very common fail item. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I noticed this Q&A was still open, so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did replacing the VSV for EGR solve the problem? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

..