K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Brought it in to dealer. Heater blows hot on Drivers side

Customer Question

Brought it in to dealer. Heater blows hot on Drivers side and cold on Passenger side. They replaced the evaporator for $1170, 2 weeks ago when I brought it in for that problem and said that should do it. Also charged $330 more for an expansion valve. I told them that it wasn't fixed. Brought it back in and was told that it was the heater core. Now they want $990 more. Last year I brought it to another dealer and paid for a diagnostic of the problem and was told it was the actuator door. I chose not to do anything then. Any suggestions?
JA: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: That's fine. Its had the problem for three years
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 08 Avalon Limited
JA: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its at the dealer right now
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am trying to have the dealer cover the cost of getting the dash apart again since they didn't fix the problem when it was apart last time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Hello, that's defintely signs of a bad actuator. I'm really sorry they took you for a ride on the bad diagnosis. I would go forward with trying to make them cover the labor on replacement.