Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I filled 3/4 tank of e85 in my 2013 highlander today. What

Customer Question

I filled 3/4 tank of e85 in my 2013 highlander today. What should I do?
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.I value your input to my questions so I may help you better.Could you just clarify what e85 is ?

Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Josh and I will assist you. Are you still looking for help with your fuel problem?

Hi, are you still in need of help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I filled e85 instead regular gas in my 2013 Toyota highlander I don't want drop the gas tank and do the cleaning . How to drain out the gas out of the tank? If not drain out , what will happen to my van?

Thanks for getting back with me... You will definitely need to drain out the e85 before you run your engine as it can cause it to hydrolock and damage it. The best way to do this is to remove the fuel tank and drain it that way, but I understand this may not be possible at your home. I suggest taking a fuel line off of the fuel rail and aiming it into a bucket while cycling the key on and off to get the fuel out of there via the fuel pump. Once it has run dry, fill up with premium gas and use a fuel stabilizer like stp

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see how things are going... do you still need help with your e85 problem? Let me know if I can assist in any way. If you are done with your question, please take a moment to rate my answer using the star rating system above! Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds good of your answer , but I don't know how to take off the gas line. Do not want to mess up more. A car service tech. told me , it won't be hart if only once. in a website, a guy checked the engen after use e86, find it is even better than before . So I just drove , ( May heard little harsh sounds ) and fill up with premier gas when the tank down to 3/4 tank, fell smoother. So far no problem. Thank you.

Great! I'm glad to hear that. If you have driven it down to 3/4 already, and there has been no damage, then you are in good shape I'd say. Definitely continue to use premium gas and I would strongly encourage using a water-removing fuel additive such as stp to try and separate some of the alcohol from the e85 that is left. Good luck!

* please remember to leave a positive rating using the star system above. Thanks a lot!