Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Think that the fuse to the main fuse panel behind the

Customer Question

think that the fuse to the main fuse panel behind the battery has a fuse that is either blown or a short from the alternator to the fuse panel box. I keep getting a drained battery and I just put a alternator on that is putting out 13.5 amps and replaced the battery terminals. So is there any advice you can give me. I know something electrical is going on and I can't afford to have a shop charge me a enormous amount of money to find it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

If the main fuse were blown you would have no power to anything. The car would act like a completely dead battery and would not jump start.

You need to measure current drain when the vehicle is sitting. Remove negative battery cable. Connect ammeter in series with the ground cable and battery. Observe current measurement. Start pulling fuses one at a time until the drain drops, this will narrow now the circuit causing the problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks