Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Wants to stall when I'm decelerating to a stop;...after the

Customer Question

wants to stall when I'm decelerating to a stop;...after the engine has been running a while if I put in neutral and rev it enough, it will go back to idling normal. But then repeats itslef
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 130,000... 4 cylinder
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 93.... changed the fuel filter/distributor/engine coolant sensor and cleaned the throttle body thus far
JA: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: had mechanic do...see above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's all I've done
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome

Thr problem in most cases like this is the idle air control valve, it may need to be cleaned or possibly replaced, since there are a lot of miles and considering the age of the vehicle I would recommend replacing it. To remove the IAC valve the throttle body has to be removed, the IAC valve is bolted to the bottom of the throttle body, remove the valve and inspect it for excessive carbon deposits that case it to stick, you may be able to clean it using a brush and some carbon dissolving liquid, after that make sure the movable part of the valve caqn be pushed open and returns to an almost closed position ( about 1mm gap) then re install it and put everything back together, if you can not clean the valve successfully just replace it, they are available from aftermarket sources.