Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

RECENTLY MY VSC light ABS light Trac light comes on

Customer Question

RECENTLY MY VSC light ABS light Trac light comes on intermittently, then my check engine light came on, now all lights are staying on consistently.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: they stay on
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2007 4runner
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet, this just started
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome,

Is the vehicle running normally with no drivability issues, stop and turn normally? The first thing that should be done is to find out why these lights are on by connecting a diagnostic scanner to read the trouble codes from the computer, the check engine light may very well be the only reason for the other lights to go on as these systems are disabled as long as the CEL is on. Did you get fuel recently? Was any maintenance or repair work done before this happened? In any case we need the diagnostic codes to determine what needs to be done to fix this, you can visit any of the large autoparts chain stores and they can help you with getting some code information out of the computer(except in Calif) they do this at no charge, then please reply here with the diagnostic information and we can continue from there. What you can do yourself before doing that is to make sure the gas cap is tight and the seal is not damaged, look under the hood for any vacuum hoses or electrical connectors that may have become disconnected, clear the lights by disconnecting the negative battery cable and then drive it normally a couple of days and see if they turn back on.