Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez,
Experience:  lead technician at Performance Tire and Automotive
96641215

I have a 2003 Solara and when I move the selector switch

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Solara and when I move the selector switch from off to any position the car dies. It is a 4 cylinder engine. I think it may be a vacuum leak in the selector switch or elsewhere in the vacuum controls.
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: Original. The car is mainly used as a commuter with about 15 miles each way to work. The cold and wet morning here in Washington make it difficult at best to keep the windshield clear.
JA: Are you fixing your Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will be trying to fix myself. I haven't tried much yet, more looking on line to narrow my search.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will be taking the car across country in the near future and really need to get this issue resolved. My other problem is I have a very limited budget and taking it to a shop is beyond what I can currently afford.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ivan Alvarez replied 1 month ago.

Hello, just to be clear you are talking about the selector switch for the fan speed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Ok I am going to look over some info and will get back to you asap.

At idle with the air off where are your rpms at?

If the rpms are to low at idle and you add another load such as heater/a/c system it can the car to stall. The first thing you need to check for is a dirty throttle plate. You will have to remove the air intake tube off the throttle body to visually inspect throttle plate. If its dirty clean it with a rag and solvent like brake clean or throttle body cleaner. Spray the cleaner on the rag and open throttle to clean the plate and bore as best you can. After doing this it should raise your idle and you can see if this resolved your issue. Let me know how it goes.

Any luck on your issue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you. I'm going to take it into firestone.

This is a procedure you can do yourself if you want to save some money.