Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My Nissan Altima 2.5S, which gas around 143k miles on it

Customer Question

My Nissan Altima 2.5S, which gas around 143k miles on it does not go faster when i rev my engine on the highway. The RPS's are going up but does not go faster. What could be the issue?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It starts fine. Only when driving and i try to go faster. I can gradually go up to speed but if i try to floor it, it sometimes feel as if something is going o fall of or the car will stop. additionally, it start to make a whining noise after so long of driving it.
JA: What year is your Altima?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried to fix it just yet. It hasn't been this bad but i feel if i wait any longer it will get even worse and not be fixable.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, first of all is the check engine light on? secondly, please check the transmission fluid while the engine is warm. make sure its full, bright red and doesnt smell burnt. let me know on both accounts. thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fluid is ok and the light is not on.

ok. then you need to have the vehicle taken to a shop that has a scan tool that can interrogate the transmission control module for fault. normal generic scan tools dont have that capability. and the whining you are hearing id from the transmission fluid pump. and thats not good.

checking in to see how its going

do you still need assistance or not?