Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2001 Tacoma V6 Automatic. 200222 miles on it. When

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Tacoma V6 Automatic. 200222 miles on it. When driving it cuts out as though you shut off the key. Put it in Neutral and will restart. Some times when idling it runs so rich it will barely keep running. Have had a mechanic replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the ignitor module. It has the supercharger on it. Was on it when I bought it. Terrible mileage. Now the engine will barely run at highway speedsor idle...These kinds of issues apparently are pretty common based on what I have seen on the internet forums. Can you help?
JA: Has the vehicle been scanned for trouble codes?
Customer: Yes...mass air flow code pops up. Replaced it and made no difference.
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have had it at an automotive repair shop. They are also puzzled as no other code pops up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dont think so
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can communicate about this any time...the sooner the better...Thx, Gene
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am going to have the repair shop do the work. If you could tell me what you think the problem is I will have them address it. Thank you.

Did the same MAF code return? If so then you may have a concern with the O2 sensor reading, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, or filters restricted. Those as well need to be monitored especially fuel trim which is the reading form the computer on how long it is telling the fuel injectors to stay open based on the amount of oxygen coming into the engine. If the random stalling is not related to the way its running then suspect a possible CMP or CKP sensor wiring or sensor possibly faulty.

.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did not tell you that the pickup has a supercharger on it. The repair shop thinks the main computer and the supercharger are not communicating properly. We still have the MAF code coming up and it dies at stop signs quite frequently. It very often runs really rich at idle and at times you can barely keep it running if at all. We are considering taking the supercharger off and putting it back to stock OEM. The supercharger was on it when we bought it about 6 weeks ago. Mileage has to be about 12 to 15 mpg but not much more than that. I am planning on having a toyota dealer do a diagnostic on the supercharger since the repair shop does not have a diagnostic tool for it. The supercharger has some bearing noise as well so that will have an influence on what I do also. I gave the repair shop the information you sent back and they said they had pretty much checked what you mentioned. I am not able to work on this full time so it will probably be next week before I find out anything. Thanks, Gene

Thanks Gene. This post will close on the 6th. So if I have not heard back from you by then. Sorry we could not get this resolved sooner.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We also replaced the up stream O2 sensor. That is the most recent part replaced. It doesnt seem that lack of fuel is the problem so fuel pressure I think has to be ruled out. The in line fuel filter has been replaced also. Its as though there is a glitch in the computer or electrical side of things.
Is there a way to reboot the computer software or to detect any sort of specific computer issue? Thanks

If I knew the current code numbers I could provide the tests to do to see if the computer is bad.

Fuel pressure testing is needed.

To reset the computer you remove both battery cables, hold them together for one minute, reconnect 30 minutes later.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will follow up with the repair shop tomorrow and let you know what I find out..Thanks.. Gene

Super

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok...I have rebooted the computer. I started the truck and it ran for about 5 minutes and died. I re-started it and drove it about a half mile before it acted like it had water in the fuel or at least was starving for fuel. Constant jerking and starting and cutting out but re -igniting. I drove about 6 miles with it doing this. Was able to make it back home. I went out today and checked out the Throttle position sensor. Both wiring and sensor check out fine. I tried to start it and it acted like it was flooded so I let it set for a half hour or so. I then decided to try starting it and it started and ran fine. So I went for a drive...approximately 10 miles and it ran like there was never an issue until about a quarter mile from home when it died while driving about 40 mph, It wouldn't start so I coasted to the driveway and stopped. I tried to start it and it fired up. Any thoughts?...Thx. Gene

Any luck on the fuel pressure test yet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hopefully that will get done tomorrow at the repair shop. I am taking it in tomorrow morning..

Thanks