Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

The 10 amp fuse to the tail lights keeps breaking. I've rep,

Customer Question

Hello, the 10 amp fuse to the tail lights keeps breaking. I've rep
JA: Did you check the bulbs?
Customer: I've replaced bulbs on left and right side. Still happens.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Toyota?
Customer: 2005. This has just started happening in the last few weeks.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, myself of far. Replacing fuses and light bulbs are fairly simple, but now I'm thinking of replacing the whole till light assembly. Could that help?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

1- make sure there is no wires touching each other on both sides, peel back the harness cover as much as you can back or use a voltmeter and do a continuity test from tail light

2- does it blow as soon as you insert new fuse or when you turn the headlight switch on or when pressed the brake or when you have the bulb inserted , have you tired puling bulbs out and see if fuse still blows ?

tell me when do this fuse blows , instantly as you inserted in its place in fuse box

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fuse blows some minutes after replacing the fuse.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not carefully looked at the wires into the bulb assembly. A quick look over I didn't notice any exposed wires.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a voltmeter but not sure how it works. So I haven't used it on the car.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I replaced the bulbs and fuse yesterday morning, and it seemed to work all day. This morning, fuse was blown.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there?

hey sorry

yes , internet cut disconnected

most of the time there is a short in the connector , I would get some electrical contact cleaner and spray the connectors and try that , if not, a continuity test will be required on the circuit to see if there is some wires touching each other intermittently going down the road , would you say the fuse pops will driving or sitting still or either way

it will be hard for me to teach how to do the continuity test here unfortunately

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure if popped while driving or only at rest. Would a new tail light assembly help? Or could the short occur somewhere else along the wires?

you can try a tail light but I would make this my last thing , because a short in the wires will cause the same problem even if replaced .

change the fuse again if its blown now , turn the headlights on and press the brakes then start rocking duplicating going down the road, getting in the bed of the truck and jump up and down then recheck that fuse ,did it pop , if it did , then i will look at the wiring harness going in the along side the frame from the taillights back

Please let me know if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I turned on the lights, the car, tried the brakes (but those lights work, it's the tail lights only turn signal indicators that are on this fuse), jumped on the car, tried the blinkers, both sides and the tail lights are still working. This happened yesterday, seemed like a full day drive they worked,but the fuse was blown this morning.

so it is the turn signal that does not work when the fuse blows ?

not the brake lights or tail lights m cause that changes things ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's this tail light/turn signal assemble lights that don't work, both left and right are controlled by the fuse. https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Sienna-Replacement-Light-Assembly/dp/B004AE0MUU
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna.

good luck

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Different expert here. If you still need assistance on this issue, please advise.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. After putting in the new fuse Saturday afternoon and bouncing the car, flicking the lights on and off, turning the car on and off, the taillights still worked. I drove over an hour without lights, car sat a few hours, then drove for over hour with lights on. Taillights lit the whole way. I went to bed with the tail lights still working. Sunday afternoon, drove the car 5 miles, no lights, and the fuse is now blown. This is too strange.

This might sound off base, but, would this vehicle happen to have a trailer wire attached?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good question, but no, there is no trailer hitch or wiring in this car.

Are the taillights factory units or have they been replaced with aftermarket units?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are factory units. The fuse first blew about a week after installing a new bulb for the left rear turn signal. I replaced all the bulbs for taillight and turn signal, both left and right. After replacing them, the fuse lasts longer, but still blows within 24 hours.

Do you have the correct wattage bulbs? I have had a few cars in the last month or so blowing taillight fuses. The bulbs were too high in wattage. I would recommend the same bulbs form a different parts supplier.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't checked that. I got them from Autozone mostly looking to get the correct bulb base because the the bulb in their system didn't match the bulbs on the car.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just assumed the wattage would be the same, but they could be different.

We had a Scion in the shop for this exact same issue. The bulbs were found to be drawing too much wattage.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** like a very likely and, hopefully, simple solution.

I hope this is the issue.