Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 2010 Tacoma I have replaced Calipers rotors master

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Tacoma I have replaced Calipers rotors master cylinder I still have no brakes I did bench bleed the master cylinder also
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?
Customer: 136,000 miles brand new
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I have replaced the calipers rotors pads
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1-do you have a vacuum control booster or hydraulic booster on it , 2wd or 4wd ?

2-and was calipers replaced front & rear ?

3- and there is no leaks in the system you checked all around the calipers and brake lines ?

3-and how did you bleed system using the Procedure below :

For the Hydraulic system :

BRAKE: BRAKE FLUID (for Hydraulic Brake Booster): REPLACEMENT NOTICE: * Immediately wash off any brake fluid that comes into contact with any painted surfaces. * Depressing the brake pedal with the reservoir cap removed will cause the fluid to spray. HINT * If any work is done on the brake system or if air in the brake lines is suspected, bleed the air from the system. * When bleeding, maintain the amount of fluid in the reservoir between the Min. and Max. lines. 1. FILL RESERVOIR WITH BRAKE FLUID Fluid: SAE J1703 or FMVSS NO. 116 DOT3 2. BLEED BRAKE BOOSTER WITH ACCUMULATOR PUMP ASSEMBLY HINT If the brake master cylinder is disassembled, the brake line is disconnected from the brake master cylinder or if the reservoir becomes empty, bleed the brake master cylinder. (a)Turn the ignition switch to ON, and wait until the pump motor has stopped (step A). HINT Pump operating sound can be heard. (b)Turn the ignition switch to OFF, and depress the brake pedal more than 20 times (step B). HINT When pressure in the accumulator is released, the reaction force becomes lighter and the stroke becomes longer. (c)Repeat step A and B 5 times (step C). (d)Turn the ignition switch to ON, and check that the pump stops after approximately 8 to 14 seconds. NOTICE: If the pump does not stop, repeat step C again. 3. BLEED BRAKE LINE (a)Turn the ignition switch to ON, and wait until the pump motor has stopped. HINT Pump operating sound can be heard. (b)Front brake line.

(1)Connect the vinyl tube to the brake caliper. (2)Depress the brake pedal several times, then loosen the bleeder plug with the pedal held down (step D). (3)At the point when the fluid stops coming out, tighten the bleeder plug, then release the brake pedal (step E). (4)Repeat step D and E until all the air in the fluid has been bled out. Torque : 11 Nm (110 kgf-cm, 8 ft-lbf) (5)Repeat the above procedures to bleed the other brake line. (c)Rear brake line.

(1)Connect the vinyl tube to the wheel cylinder. (2)Depress the brake pedal, hold it, and then loosen the bleeder plug. HINT Brake fluid is pumped out automatically. (3)Loosen the bleeder plug and release air. NOTICE: Keep brake fluid in the reservoir tank above the MIN line during the above procedures. (4)When the air is completely bled out of the brake fluid through the bleeder plug, tighten the bleeder plug. Torque : 11 Nm (110 kgf-cm, 8 ft-lbf) (5)Repeat the above procedures to bleed the other brake line. 4. BLEED MASTER CYLINDER SOLENOID HINT If the brake master cylinder is disassembled, the brake line is disconnected from the brake master cylinder or if the reservoir become empty, bleed the brake master cylinder. (a)Connect the Techstream to the DLC3. (b)Turn the ignition switch to ON. (c)Select "Active Test" mode on the Techstream. (d)Connect the vinyl tube to the rear wheel cylinder.

(e)Loosen the bleeder plug. (f)Select "TRAC Solenoid (SRMF & SRMR)" to drive the solenoids and bleed air from the rear wheel cylinder (step F). NOTICE: * Do not depress the brake pedal. * Keep brake fluid in the reservoir tank above the MIN line during the above procedures. HINT * Brake fluid is sent through the pump. * To protect the solenoids, the Techstream turns OFF automatically 2 seconds after every solenoid has been turned ON. (g)Repeat step F until all the air in the brake fluid is bled out. (h)When the air is completely bled out of the brake fluid through the bleeder plug, tighten the bleeder plug. Torque : 11 Nm (110 kgf-cm, 8 ft-lbf) (i)Repeat the above procedures to bleed the other brake line. (j)Turn the ignition switch to OFF. (k)Turn the ignition switch to ON. (l)Clear DTC See: Antilock Brakes / Traction Control Systems > Reading and Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes > DTC Check / Clear. 5. INSPECT FOR BRAKE FLUID LEAK 6. INSPECT FLUID LEVEL IN RESERVOIR See: Brake Fluid > Procedures > Brake Fluid (for Hydraulic Brake Booster)

Please let me know if yours is vacuum operated so i can send you that procedure

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
4WD
no just front. the rear has drum brakes drums and they're in good shape
I've done all those steps could it be something else like a ABS pump or some other problem

1-was the Wheel cylinders checked on rear drums for leakage also ,did you pull drum out and visually check ?

2-If you have done all this procedure , then yes ABS could be an issue but to confirm

3-I recommend using a Chrysler Scanner or equivalent at this time where you can communicate with ABS pump module and run test on on it , You should be able to retrieve History Fault codes with it as long as battery has not been disconected since

as long as your bleeding was spot on , had a nice full stream of fluid coming out when you open the caliper bleeder and did not let the brake master cylinder go low on fluid when bleeding it.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Thank You
Chad Farhat