Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I just put a new timing kit and head on a 2007 Camry LE with

Customer Question

I just put a new timing kit and head on a 2007 Camry LE with the 2AZ-FE engine, the 2.4L. I am getting a P0335 code immediately after start up. The new head came with cams and valves and the timing kit had an exhaust cam sprocket (the ordinary one). The original intake cam sprocket (the VVT one) was reused and after the code came up a new sprocket was purchased from a dealer thinking it had locked up somehow (has 160k miles), it didn't help. A new crank sensor was installed too and tomorrow I will try a new cam sensor. No opens or short in the wires from the crank sensor to the ECM were found. I guess me question is while I tried to do the timuing chain timing marks perfectly, I didnt bother to line up the timing marks on the chain that powers the oil pump below the crank. As far as I know it is just an oil pump wiyth no other mechanically driven gadget or position sensor of any kind so there shouldn't be an issue there, am I right. The oil pump chain or sprocket was never removed. What I notice is the number of links inj timing chains is not an integer multiple of the number of teeth on a can or crank spocket so it is only after many revolutions that the yellow colored chain links come around to line up with the timing marks again.
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: It runs just fine, took it for a test drive and it was smooth and made good power, had it at full throttle and up to 5k rpm.. I am not experienced enough to hear/feel when the VVT is supposed to kick in. I used a Snap On Verus scanner and it has a data display for the VVT command signal, from what I saw it was VVT on at idle up to 3k rpm, then it was commanded off, though there may have been some other switching events also. I guess I thought the VVT wasnt working becuase of the old intake sprocket and the ECM would know this at idle becuase VVT is supposed to be on then. Regarding the old intake cam sprocket, I tightened it the the new cam while in the locked position and read this can damage it, hence the new sprocket, which was installed unlocked on the cam, then locked as instructed. I was wondering if perhaps the P0335 code may clear up on its own becuase the ECM is detecting a slightly different phase angle between the crank and cam, by say a few degrees compared to what it had been due to the newer timing chain being a bit tighter than the old one, which looked fine.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am a mechanic at Pep Boys, the Canmry is a customer car that needed a new head from overheating
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was just curious what the fee may be for the advice. I am willing to shell out a little of my own money to get out of a jam at work.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.I value your input to my questions so I can help you better. I'll give you a link pertaining to that code. What could have happened is perhaps misaligned the sensor loose connection or pinched the wiring to it. check those items. Hope this gives you some direction to solve your issue. http://www.autocodes.com/p0335_2007_toyota_camry.html