Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have filled my prius up two days ago and it is still

Customer Question

I have filled my prius up two days ago and it is still flashing on the dashboard that it is empty. So today my car said it ran out of gas and it would not go and I pulled off road. It would barely move then. The check engine light came on and the problem screen came on and the problem was add fuel. I added another gallon of gas today thinking that it would reset the gauge. I let it set some more thinking it was going fix it. But it did not. Help, do I have it towed to the toyota place or what?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: You mean which light?
JA: What year is your Prius?
Customer: 2009
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am a old woman but I wanted to disconnect a battery where it could reset but I can't find a regular battery... I thought it had two batteries.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What does this cost?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Toyota Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: What does this normally run?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for posting

It sounds like it ran out of gas, once the computer sees a gas runout condition it will set a code in the computer, even after filling the tank it will not clear, it still sees a out of fuel condition and keeps the light on until the code is cleared, there is a 12 volt battery in the trunk on the right side next to the fender, you will have to remove the carpet and the spare tire cover to get to the battery, only disconnect the negative cable for a minute, if it doesn't clear up a dealer will have to connect their computer to reset this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for helping me. Now I can have a friend unhook battery for me. I know that the car is full of gas it just needs resetting.
Thanks

You're welcome and best of luck, please leave a positive rating for my, thank you for using our website.