Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 2007 FJ. Yesterday the check engine light came on

Customer Question

I have a 2007 FJ. Yesterday the check engine light came on blinking along with the VSC TRAC, VSC OFF and the vehicle slipping symbol. The FJ also vibrating I could feel it in the wheel and interior. I made the four miles to work. When I got off it started and drove normally no lights or vibration. Started up this morning same lights and vibration with the check engine going from blinking to solid on. Any thing I can look at before hitting dealer money is really tight right now
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it was blinking then went off with all the lights yesterday. Today it stays on
JA: What is the model of your '07 Toyota?
Customer: FJ CRUISER
JA: Are you fixing your FJ Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't done anything yet. I asking is there some common things I should check before I take it to the dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The vehicle idles and runs fine when the lights are on. It just vibrates like crazy and sounds like the front end is comin apart
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- go to local parts store like advance auto or auto zone and have the vehicle scanned & retrieve fault codes

and post them back here to me , so we know what is failing .abs pump, abs sensor,yaw sensor, steering angle sensor, etc.. if any of these sensor fails will throw the traction control/abs system in limp mode ,since they problem is intermittent most likely each time you cycle the ignition switch it will reset the fault .

2- You can take out the wheels and pull the abs sensors off and clean them with brake parts cleaner in case there is a brake pad dust on them and failing intermittently .

but that will be a guess on my parts ,since no scan available now , but that will be most common fault ,but testing is needed

3- one more thing we can try to is A Master reset and see if it was a glitch ,

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

If that don't work get some codes and i can help further ,or if the dealer give crazy estimate let me know and i tell how much needs to be and if it is true what they are telling you

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will get it scanned but it won't be till later this afternoon

ok sounds good

I m online daily from 10 am till late

just come back here to the post and let me know what they are

Chad