Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

1998 Toyota RAV4 air conditioning controls are not working.

Customer Question

1998 Toyota RAV4 air conditioning controls are not working. When I push the A/C button and turn on the fan nothing happens. Looked for blown fuses but didn't find any. What else can I check?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Hello, since it's not running on any speed remove the glovebox door and check for voltage at the blower motor plug. It should be around 12 volts on high and go down at each lower setting. LEt me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok will do! Shouldn't the A/C button light up even if the resister isn't working though? Also, is there a relay that I can check for this?
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Different expert here. If you still need assistance on this request, please feel free to respond. I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks! I ended up diagnosing it myself as it was a bad A/C Heater blower resistor.

Ok. Glad to hear that. One thing you might want to be aware of here: If the connection to the resistor from the wire connector is loose, this can allow the resistor to overheat by arcing inside the connector,. This causes the resistor to fail. Perhaps that is what caused the issue in the first place. Please makes sure the wire connector fits tight.It should be a bit difficult to pull off if it is fitting properly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok sounds good! I will make sure to do that!

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to provide you assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks!

You are very welcome!