Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I've done some research and appears as though the servo has

Customer Question

I've done some research and appears as though the servo has stopped working. Makes a rumbling noise when key is turned on. There is no heat when the temp is raised. 2004 Toyota 4Runner
JA: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: Those are all fine
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've taken the glove box out and can feel the rumbling on the servo
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: want to know if this can be replaced without removing dash
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

I can probably help you, but I'm a little confused by your question; when you say "servo", do you mean the blower motor? what exactly is it you're trying to diagnose/repair?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The blower motor works fine. The servo is to the left of the blower motor and engages as soon as the ignition is turned on. A/C doesn't even have to be turned on to generate the noise. Stops after about 30 seconds. Determined today that it will not blow hot are when temp is raised. Research indicated that the servo is what regulates temp and that is what is vibrating when key turned on

Thank you for clarifying.

Depending on your model and options, the glove box and blower motor box might have to come out for access to the servo - just the glove box on base models (see attached graphic). Last time I checked, Toyota was selling those for a little under $200, but that was before I retired a couple of years back, so prices might have gone up.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards.