Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 2006 Sequoia Limited that has had numerous rear

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Sequoia Limited that has had numerous rear hatch window problems. The motor will not move so the rear window defrost, wiper will also not work. The motor was replaced in Sep 2010 and worked for a short time. I looked up the TSB's and found one dated Jun 14, 2006 and then a superseding TSB dated Apr 28, 2010 that described removing a latch and spring to correct that problem. Is this bulletin still valid? TSB T-SB-0115-10.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: The service center never removed that set of parts described in the TSB and now I have the same problem. The dealer wants to charge me again to replace the motor. I feel they should do it right this time with and abide by the TSB.
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes the fuses have been checked and the whole system has been looked at by the dealership and they say the motor is bad
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am just trying to get this fixed. If it is truly a bad motor, then I will let them do the work, but I need to know if they in fact did the correct work the first time before letting them do it over
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thanks for posting, yes that bulletin is still valid but not removing that spring and metal bracket should not cause the motor to fail again, it's easy to test the motor by applying power to it, it either works or not. There have benn cases like that where the back door ECU was the actual problem I have replaced some of those in the past to correct this problem, the dealer should check , I believe there is an updated door ecu available.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If the parts described in the TSB were not removed the first time and they then caused the motor to bind up and burn out, is this not the direct result of not following the TSB? Also, the updated TSB describes replacing the ECU as well to comply with the bulletin. The dealer only replaced the motor and not the ECU. Sounds to me like they did not even look at the bulletin (missed 2 provisions of the bulletin).
Dealer trouble shot the problem and told me there was not even a bulletin affecting the motor problem. Again, sounds like they missed something. Your thoughts, please. Thanks, Don

Thanks for the reply, would have to agree with you on this, it does sound like they just replaced the motor (quick fix) there is a reason they recommend replacing the ecu as well, obviously they did not use the bulletin instructions and you have a good case. Take a copy of the TSB with you when you go back and ask some questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response. Am I allowed to take a copy of this conversation with me when I discuss this issue? I feel that while the vehicle was under warrantee, and had a valid TSB to replace both the motor and the ECU that the dealership should have done so. Failure to comply with the TSB and having a repeat problem, even a couple of years late now puts me in a bind to have to pay for the repairs as the vehicle is no longer under warrantee.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Who would be the right person to discuss these issues with? The service manager, the dealership manager, the owner?

I think it would be wise to start with the service manager, then if necessary the general manager.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help, Don

You're welcome , please take a moment to click on an accept or rating button, I appreciate it very much and good luck.