Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My brake pedal is soft and I hear a hissing noise when i

Customer Question

my brake pedal is soft and I hear a hissing noise when i push it hard
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: a few weeks. My daughters car so i just learned of it. Its sounds like its coming from the opposite side of the engine than the master cynder i replaced the master cylinder and bleed them but it didn't seem to work i wonde rif i need to bleed them again
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2013 corolla
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replace the master cylinder and bleed them seems worse
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. It would be difficult to assist on the hissing noise without seeing or hearing it. Traditionally, a hiss noise would equate to a crack in the brake tubing, where you could be losing brake fluid. This, of course, would lead to a spot under the car, and a loss of fluid in the reservoir. Does this car have rear disc brakes? (Some do, some do not). Please advise of this. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Rear brakes are drums and there's no fluid leaking

Ok. Let's do this: Get it into the car and drive it someplace where you have a lot of room in front of you and you cannot hit anything by accident. Apply the park brake 6 clicks. slowly depress the gas pedal and see if the car moves at all. (you want to do this in an open area in case the car moves forward rapidly and you bump into something). Advise if the car moves any or not when you give it gas with the park brake applied 6 clicks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it rolled

Rolled real easy?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no resistance. Plus I have to push the brake all the way to the floor before it grabs

Ok. What you have here is some real improper adjustment of the rear brake shoes. The car should not roll with the park brake on. That is why it is there, to stop the car in the event of loss of hydraulics. If you are going to do this yourself, what you need to do, before anything else, is to take the rear wheels and brake drums off. Clean the dust out of the rear brake drums, and then adjust the rear brakeshoes properly. The excess pedal travel is what it takes to move the rear brakes out. Since they are not adjusted, they are not touching the brake drums. This is VERY common when the driver does nto set the park brake when the car is parked. The action of the park brake (assuming the rear brakes are adjusted properly to start with) maintains the rear brake adjustment. Since it rolls, the rears are nto doing anything to stop the car, and you need excess pressure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I will adjust them in the morning and try you back then

Once you get the rear brakes adjusted, instruct your daughter to set the park brake every time she parks it.

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the proper order for bleeding each wheel

Start at master cylinder. Bleed the lines. Refill the reservoir. Go to passenger rear. Bleed. Go to driver rear. Bleed. Got to passenger front. Bleed. Finish at driver front.

Recommend procedure to follow:

You need an assistant who can follow directions.

1) Have the assistant press the brake pedal to the floor and hold it.

2) Open the bleeder

3) Close the bleeder

4) Have the assistant let off the pedal

5) Check fluid level in the reservoit

6) assistant presses pedal to the floor (ONE time. never pump the pedal. All that does is breaks any air present into small bubbles)

Repeat until no bubbles or air exiting is observed.