Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Compressor clutch shuts off when the freon pressure reaches

Customer Question

compressor clutch shuts off when the freon pressure reaches 250 psi on a 90 degree day after it has run a while. Why?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no to both questions. The clutch I am talking about is the A/C clutch
JA: What is the model of your '90 Toyota?
Customer: It is a 2000 Echo
JA: Are you fixing your Echo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I discharged the freon and put a vacuum pump and discharged to the max and continued for another hour and let set with all lines turned off and it did not leak, then recharged with 134A to 250 psi on high side and 55psi on low side. the air was cold and working great and when accelerated to 2000 Rpm for about five or ten minutes. Went back out side to check high pressure was reading 250 and just as I was satisfied the clutch shut off off and of course the air started warming up. I let car set for about 15 minutes and tried again. In my mind was a pressure switch shut it off, if so it would have to be a high pressure switch, if so where is the high pressure switch located?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not think so, thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

The problem is not the igh pressure switch itself, it's the Freon pressure of 250psi on the high side, it's way above normal which is about 125-150 max. What was the low side pressure at that time?