Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years
12772297

My Hilux seems to be running really rough like its on 3

Customer Question

Hi my Hilux seems to be running really rough like its on 3 cylinders and blows a lot of white smoke. A mate has told me that it's prob a hike in the piston could this be true I only just put this motor in and it cost me 10grand
JA: Have you metered out the ignition system?
Customer: No not sure what that is
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2007 Hilux with a 2009 motor
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried anything really need to figure out what could be the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

I wouldn't jump straight in with a holed piston, as while thats possible its not the only reason

I'd 1st suggest to do a compression test across all 4 cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other as this will show if the engine is mechanically fine

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

and check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you