Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

1990 toyota pickup. when key is off steering wheel is

Customer Question

1990 toyota pickup. when key is off steering wheel is unlocked. when key is in run or start position steering wheel is locked?
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: its the opposit of that issue
JA: What is the model of your '90 Toyota?
Customer: 90 pickup 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. it was broken into and they broke the ignition bracket so I changed the whole column including key tumbler.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the key is in the on position, and the steering column locks up, the anti-theft device (in the ignition lock assembly) is faulty. When you turn the key off, a pin is permitted to retract into a hole drilled into the steering column. This prevents someone from stealing the vehicle if they 'hot wire' it. If the pin is coming out when it is supposed to be retracted (turning the key on retracts it out of the hole); you need to replace the ignition lock assembly.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
SURE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MY ABOVE QUESTION.
I do not understand your reply. The recommendation is to replace the ignition lock assembly. (The part that the key tumbler fits into)