Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

I have 2010 Toyota Prius and the other day I was backing out

Customer Question

I have 2010 Toyota Prius and the other day I was backing out of the garage with the hatch open and the wind spoiler clipped the garage door and brock the two clips (one as each end) that holds the spoiler on. I have checked with the Toyota dealer and have been informed that the clip is not sold separately from the air foil but all I need are the two clips--the foil itself is in good condition. Any ideas on where I might find the two clips? Thanks
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: It happened a couple of week ago and I how have the spoiler attached with packing tape. It works but is not pretty.
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am basically being told by the dealer that for them to fix it would require ordering the whole wind foil assembly costing hundreds of dollars for the sole purpose of obtaining the two $.25 clips need to reattach the existing air foil. But i just have to believe that it is possible to find the needed clips separate from the foil. Can you help?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That about covers it. I am a handy guy and can figure most thing out so I am ready for an "artisanal" solution if need be. I still have the base of the 2 original clips but the top part that slipped into a slot on the foil has broken off. One thought I had was to drive a screw into the base piece and see if that will recreate a semblance of the original clip. What do you think?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 1 month ago.

I would try any local parts store, usually they carry an assortment of body clips and they should be able to match them up for you. If that doesn't work out, the next thing to try would be to find a body shop in your area and see if they have any. I find it hard to believe that toyota can't order you those clips separately, so you might want to try a different dealership as well. Good luck, hope you get it sorted out!

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating me 3 stars or higher or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.