Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I am getting codes for my cam position sensor on my 2014 5.7

Customer Question

I am getting codes for my cam position sensor on my 2014 5.7 liter tundra
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: P0014 P1343, P0014
JA: What year is your Tundra?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I replaced the cam position sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: P0014 exhaust position timing over advanced(bank1) P1343 Camshaft position sensor A high input (MRE) P0014 Exhaust Camshaft position timing -Over advanced (Bank 1)
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Are you connecting me to a mechanic ?
JA: No. I'm the Toyota Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: So who will assist me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This could be one of a few things, or several of the few things at the same time. Without hands on diagnosis with the scan tool, it is rather difficult to pinpoint your exact cause. However, experience here indicates that you have some type of issue with the variable valve timing. The P0014 code indicates this. If the truck was in my shop, I would attach the scan tool and manually activate the variable valve timing oil control valve, and observe the results. If the oil control valve passes this test, the only other common thing it would be would be the controller gear for the variable valve timing. The oil control valve sends oil pressure tot he controller gear, which moves. This movement alters the valve timing for enhanced performance. If the oil control valve sticks open, or the controller gear stick in the advanced position, you get cam codes, because the cam is not where it is supposed to be with no oil pressure hitting the controller gear on the cam. The oil control valves are easy to test (but you need a compatible scan tool that allows one to manually test the valves). If the valves are good, replacement of the controller gear is needed. This is NOT an easy job, as the camshaft must be removed to facilitate replacement of the controller gear. If you are not skilled in the removal of the camshaft on this engine, I would strongly recommend that you leave this to the professionals. It is very easy to not install the controller properly, it is extremely easy to set the cam in correctly (which will bend the valves and damage the pistons). For the price of a pro to do this, you could conceivably avoid a high expense engine repair

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What symptoms would the vehicle provide to confirm your theory..

You would have some acceleration issues, and possibly some rough idle quality.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no acceleration issues
I drove the Truck btween 75 and 100 mph for an hour at a time in Florida with no hesitation ,no rough idle.no starting problems. stiong and powerful but check engine light is lit with the above mentioned codes...

Assuming you have the correct oil in the engine (the proper weight oil is critical, because the oil is used as a pressure medium to actuate the Variable valve timing. You may have had the oil control valve stick, or a piece of carbon got into the orifice, allowing oil pressure to seep past the control valve seal. If this vehicle was in my shop, based on this new info, I would 'clear' the codes and have you road test it for several miles. It may just have been a sticking condition and, if it runs OK, the condition has alleviated itself. The light will remain on until the code is cleared. This is a federal requirement.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had the oil changed at the dealer prior to my road trip. I also had a zero calibration done to clear all codes and reprogram ecu $200 plus... Upon test drive the check engine light appeared, I returned to the dealer not a half mile away. These codes came up but was told possible camshaft sensor. Completed road trip and replaced sensor. Had code cleared at shop and reappeared shortly

I suspect either a faulty oil control valve or the controller. They can check the control valve operation with their scan too. The zero calibration has nothing to do with this issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok will check

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day