Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 1988 Toyota SR5 Ext Cab Pickup V6 EFI and the left

Customer Question

HI, I have a 1988 Toyota SR5 Ext Cab Pickup V6 EFI and the left head light is real dim the other is fine. The left head light when dim does go dim and when on bright goes to bright. But when I check at the bulb with a test light all three show current but chaange as you go from dim to bright
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Bulbs new and have been checked cannot determine which fuses are for the head light nor can I tell which if any relays are for head lights - no description for fuses execpt one on left inside the cab. But have no clue as to the ones under the hood
JA: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Put new head light in and tested it to insure working. Ran a test light to neg side battery and to head light while lights on. When you dim the head lights the prongs on the head light change as to showing current
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  GDibs replied 7 days ago.

The headlight bulbs are ground controlled. It sounds like you have a bad ground circuit. The bulbs get power from two separate fuses and the headlight switch controls the ground of the high and low beam circuits. Both headlights share common circuits for high and low beam, Check at the right head light and you should notice two of the wires share the same color with the left side, If the right side works and the left doesn't you could run wires from the right light and over to the left joining the same color wires at both sides and it should work .