Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

I have an old 1998 toyota avalon I am told I need a blower

I have an old 1998 toyota avalon I am told I need a blower motor controller replacement is $500 by the dealer. worth more than the car. : ) unfortunately, the car is otherwise running great. I have some kids who could use it but I want a blower for the defroster that is dependable. How expensive is that part? Is it something a guy fairly mechanically inclined could install?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 225K
JA: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: automatic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: only minor things. frankly, it does not break down

It appears you have "Automatic Heater / A/C Control"
IF so, the Part you need is called a Blower Motor Linear Controller
Should be Part # 87165-32010
Click Attachment Below

Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
Rating is very Important to our Service

did you need more information?
please respond or rate my answer

thank you

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I received the message and need to find time to tear into my car and see if the controller is the problem. I would like to keep this open until I have time to address the issue. I hope that is not a problem. Hopefully, I will be able to get this done by the end of the upcoming weekend.

typically a question is open for apprx 7 days, but usually if there is a response from the customer it is held open a few more days
Let me know if you need further

Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
OK. Thank you. Will get to the fix as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hey,Removed the # 2 panel. can see the blower. I am having a tough time finding the heater protector panel. Again, it is a 1998 toyota avalon xls with climate control. I do see a panel that has three screws that I removed (see picture. the tip of my screwdriver is resting on it.) However, it is attached above and I would need to remove more of the dash to get at it. I assume this is the wrong panel. Can you direct me from this panel to look in the proper place for the heater protector panel? Thanks John

I have an old 1998 toyota avalon I am told I need a blower motor controller replacement is $500 by the dealer. worth more than the car. : )

Again, it is a 1998 toyota avalon xls with climate control

I am originally posted that it was a 1998 Avalon, & no mention of Automatic Control, which I posted the correct repair.
IF it is a 1998 Avalon "XLS", then the Blower Motor Linear Controller is located at the left side Dash
Here is Toyota Procedures for 1998 Avalon XLS with Automatic Climate Control
Click Attachments Below
Again, sorry for the problem

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No worries. I should have given a better description from the start. I believe I have the part and have attached the picture. Confirm that it is correct. It does not have any obvious issues that I can see visually. It looks like the part will cost about $200 on a car probably worth $1000 so I want to get this right. Some questions.
1. The blower issue is that when I turn it on, I only have one blower speed that will last for about 5 minutes. No other speeds will work. Just stays at the top speed for blowing. I can redirect to defrost or vents without problem. After about 5 minutes, it quits blowing air.2. What is your confidence that this part is the cause?3. On an electrical part, will an auto supply store allow me to return it if it does not fix the problem?4. If I drive my car down to the auto supply store, can I just plug in the new controller and know immediately if it works? I assume it does not have to be remounted into the dash.Thanks again and I appreciate your help.john

very sorry for the delay..........thunderstorms knocked out electricity.

The Linear Controller fails often in this vehicle, & by your description is my first choice
Typically Auto Parts Stores do NOT allow Returns on Electrical Parts
Not sure if the Auto Parts Store will let you try, but it is worth asking
As long as it is plugged in, I would try for a few moments, as the Heat Sink on the Linear Controller needs air circulation to keep it cool
Let me know if you need further

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
no worries. i have ordered the part and it will be delivered today. will let you know the result tomorrow. Saturday.

thank you.........

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Mission Accomplished. Thanks for your help.john bormann