Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics

My serpentine belt snapped I need to know how to install a

Customer Question

My serpentine belt snapped I need to know how to install a new kne One
JA: How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 174495
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2002 sequoia Sr5
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. We have called someone to bring us a new belt. That's all. The belt broke while on the highway, so we are stranded for the moment.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 days ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer. Be right back...

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for holding!

Due to the nature of the belt replacement, there isn't much in the way of a service manual procedure. It's a fairly simple job. Let me try and explain as best I can before I provide the actual manual procedure.

Route the new belt around all the pulleys except the top Idler Pulley. Rotate the Tensioner counter-clockwise and then pull up the slack on the belt to install it onto the top idler. Slowly release the tensioner. Do not let the tensioner "snap" back into place, as this can harm the tensioner.

I've wrapped up the repair manual procedure into a PDF file. Download the PDF file here:

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 days ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did you get the belt replaced? Any other questions you had? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 days ago.