Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

We have a 2006 Toyota Sienna. I hear a clunk noise when

Customer Question

We have a 2006 Toyota Sienna. I hear a clunk noise when braking. The noise happens just before I come to a complete stop. Also, the noise only seems to happen when it is above 55 or 60 degrees. The folks on one forum suggested lubing the u-joints. I'm going to do that this morning. Any other ideas?
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm going to try to fix it myself. I had it in the shop 2 weeks ago for some other work and the Toyota mechanics didn't hear the noise (probably b/c it was too cold outside).
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That;s all for now.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Cary York replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Is that a 2WD or AWD?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Expert:  Cary York replied 8 days ago.

Ok. First of all there are no u-joints. It has C.V. axles in the front and they are not serviceable. When you say 55 or 60 degrees, do you mean the grade of the road up or down?

Expert:  Cary York replied 8 days ago.

When you hear the clunk do you feel a bump in the downshift as you are slowing down?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Temperature above 55 degrees. If it's below that temperature, it's not making the noise. I don't think I feel a bump in the downshift. The noise is coming from the rear of the vehicle.
Expert:  Cary York replied 7 days ago.

Sorry for the delay in response. Do you know if it is drum brakes in the rear?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I also want to apologize for my delay in responding. I'll check the brakes when I get home from work.
Expert:  Cary York replied 7 days ago.

Ok. Thank You.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It has disc brakes in the back
Expert:  Cary York replied 7 days ago.

Can you handle doing the rear brakes yourself?

Expert:  Cary York replied 7 days ago.

If so I would replace the rotors and pads in the rear and make sure everything is clean and lubed. The rotors are about $30.00 each and good pads are about $40.00 for the set. That is what I would recommend.