mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

Happened twice now about 2 months apart. Typically my truck

Customer Question

Happened twice now about 2 months apart. Typically my truck runs flawlessly, but twice now while attempting to back up from a parked position, the truck engine dies.Attempting to start it without turning the key to "off" only lets the engine crank with no fire. If you turn the key to the off position and try to start it it will fire up for only a second and then die. The check engine lights is now illuminated. I disconnect and re-connect the neg terminal on the battery to reset any faults in the computer and it fires right up like nothing has happened, no check engine light on and it runs fine.
Like i said this is the second time this has happened and there is never any consistent sign of what makes it do this other than when start the engine and i go from park to reverse.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  mike switzer replied 9 days ago.

you need to see what code is popping up in the system when this happens

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm usually in the field as this is a work truck and without getting it towed to a mechanic just to check the engine code there is no way of checking this. I do have a diagnostic tool in my shop a i may just leave it in my truck in case it happens again. i will reply again if i can retrieve a TC.
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 days ago.

okay sounds good let me know.