Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I have a 2007 Camry XLE V6. My brake pedal pulsates when

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Camry XLE V6. My brake pedal pulsates when coming to a complete stop and there is a clicking sound coming from underneath the car.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Could be coming from the firewall, perhaps the brake booster. This started yesterday, after I changed my oil.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. The sound is similar to a spring being fully expanded and the clicking is similar to when the ABS is activated.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it. Surely, I can't be the first owner of a 2007 Camry, to experience this. Hopefully, there is a solution.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 9 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. may need to ask a few questions to better help you. if you fell the pedal pulsate then that tells me the brake rotors are warped . How long ago have you had any brake work done?is this clicking nose happening at the same time when the brakes pulsate?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I replaced the brake rotors 1 month ago. That's about 2000 miles ago. This just occurred yesterday. It only happens right before the car stops from a speed of 15 MPH or greater.

are they OME or aftermarket rotors. also was the backing of the axle flang that the rotors sit on cleaned properly and that flang checked for run out?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The rotors are aftermarket. No, I didn't check for runout.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 8 days ago.

Ok lift front of vehicle off the ground just enogh that you can wiggle the wheels to check for any play in the suspension.if none then either those rotors are warped or you have runnout in the hub mount.I have seen aftermarket rotors warped by just the way they store them.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for the advice, Peter.

Another way you can tell if it's especially front rotors , if you just lightly touch the brake pedal at highway speeds and the steering wheel will oscillate rapidly.