Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 1995 Toyota Tacoma an I keep getting a bad iat an I

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Toyota Tacoma an I keep getting a bad iat an I can't figure out what to try next
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes by myself I put a new iat sensor in it an cleared the code but still had the miss in the truck my check engine light went off when I cleared the code but come back on in 36 miles but even with check engine light off it still missed like it did before I have used my volt meter an grounded to battery an my red lead to the signal wire of the sensor I had 12.9 volts with key turned on
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Do you have the code numbers at this time or can you post them here for me, an IAT sensor malfunction should not cause a misfire.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The code is a p0110 it like it's getting to much fuel or not enough
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did heat the sensor with heat gun an it dropped from a 2.887 to 1.347 when I stopped with the heat gun

Is it a 4 cylinder or v6 engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2.7 4 cylinder

Have you checked the engine compression yet? Have you checked basic things like spark plugs, plug wires and the connectors. I think your getting this code due to another problem with the engine, try to find the reason for the misfire first.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've checked all of that I just replaced all plugs, plug wires fuel filter air filter if is real cool out of the morning it want do it till the engine warms up an it still doesn't do it real bad but when it does it I can let off the gas or down shift an it will quit I got a buddy that ase certified an he is thinking maybe the ecm because he checked compression an spark at his garage because he has the tools like that an I don't iS they a way to check an see if I'm getting anything at the ecm with a volt meter

The ecm itself can't be checked, at least not even at the dealer level, there are some facilities that claim they have the test equipment to test them, check online. The only other thing you can do is to use a manual and check the wiring between the sensors and the ecm, it could also be a bad ground point for the ecm, you might want to go there first, check all computer ground points and check the ecm connectors for corrosion and bad connections, to check grounds it's best to disconnect the battery to take all power off, then check the brown/black wires from the ecm these are grounds, also check ground connections on the engine intake manifold area, computer grounds must have less than one ohm resistance to body ground.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just made me a jumper an checked my signal wire at ecm plug and I'm getting .6 and I'm getting .6 on the ground too so is that good or is that low numbers

Less than one ohm is good/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where would you start looking next because I'm not getting any other codes an like I said all new plugs wires fuel filter air filter really don't know where to go from here the very first time I scanned I had a code 42 to pick up but it hasn't came back up and that's been almost 2 months ago code 42 is speedometer

I would check around for a used ecm, making sure it has the same part number and give that a try, or buy an exchange unit, there are places online that remanufacture them.