Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

1996 toyota celica gt 2.2 intermiitently loses power while

Customer Question

1996 toyota celica gt 2.2 intermiitently loses power while driving and the brake pedal gets real stiff when this happens
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: fluctuates
JA: Are you fixing your Celica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes - i have looked over the vacuum lines and all appear intact
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: ecm was replaced 15 months ago when car quit
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.

..

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.

.

.

If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
curious - how would low fuel pressure or exhaust back pressure effect the vacuum driven brake system?

With low fuel pressure, the engine won't produce the proper amount of vacuum and a clogged exhaust will cause very low vacuum, which is what the brake booster is run by, thanks