Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My check hybrid system light is on, can i still drive the

my check hybrid system light is on, can i still drive the car until it can be checked?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the check hybrid system warning, on the left side the triangle and above it a sign with skid markss
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: and on the right side it says check below what appears to be a battery, and below that a cirle in parenthesis and an apostrophe in the cirle it is a 2010 priu
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, took it to get brake pads the other day and the tech did a scan and when i got the car back the warning lights were all off, this morning they came back on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it

Hello, when the mechanic did a scan did they tell you what diagnostic codes they found, is this information on your receipt? It sounds like they just cleared the info and did not fix the problem, was this a toypota dealer or independent shop?

At this time with the little information I have and to answer your question of whether it's safe to drive I would have to say that it would be ok to drive until you can have someone do a diagnostic check, there is a possibility that this is all caused by a discharged auxiliary 12 volt battery which is in the trunk, if you can drive it to an auto parts store like advance auto, autozone or similar facility they can check the battery for you, it may need to be replaced to solve this, after the battery is replaced the lights should turn off, if any lights turn back on please have it diagnosed by a Toyota dealer if possible, there are many other reasons for these lights to turn on and without properly diagnosing there is no way of knowing what the problems actually are.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

You're welcome and good luck, please take a moment to give a rating, it's important to me and very much appreciated, thank you.