Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2011 Yaris. It was recently making a high pitched

Hi, I have a 2011 Yaris. It was recently making a high pitched noise that stopped when the brakes were applied. I thought that could be the brake pads but mechanic claimed they were ok (I asked them to check during routine oil change).
JA: How old are the rotors? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Now that noise seems to be gone.. but there's a serious grinding noise when I brake ( seems to only be when Im braking all the way to stop or near stop)
JA: Are you fixing your Yaris yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not sure how old the rotors are.. It's at 103500 miles No, I have no idea how to do any of this.. but I'm really concerned if it's safe to drive??
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Until I can get it in to a shop I mean

HI,

I hate saying this, but they did not check the pads. They may have visually checked the outboard pads looking thru the wheels, but they did not check the inboard pads by pulling the wheels and calipers.

That high pitched noise was the wear indicator and the grinding you hear now is the brake pad backing plate eating into the brake rotor as there is no more brake pad friction material, so you have metal to metal grinding of the backing plate on the rotor.

It will need new pads and rotors. You dont want to drive it at this point. The reason is because the brake caliper can only extend out so far before it pops out and you lose brake fluid and the brake pedal goes to the floor. Safety wise, it should be towed to a repair shop

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your prompt response...Im at work right now, 25 miles from home.. with absolutely no way to get home without my car.. do you think it could be safe just to make this trip (and then to a close mechanic tomorrow)?And do you have any idea how much this will all cost? I'm already in a financial crisis right now.. I have no idea how to handle this.

Ok, take it slow and use the brakes as little as possible, downshift the transmission to help slow the vehicle down before braking and you will be safe to drive home. and give plenty of space between you and anyone in front of you.

If you have it repaired at a small independent shop, you will be looking at around $250 to $300.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?