Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I just replaced the thermostat and now my car does not start

Customer Question

I just replaced the thermostat and now my car does not start only the radiator fan is running.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

does the engine turn over but not fire up or does nothing happen when turning the key to start? When turning the key to on doe the lights on the dash turn on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
T
he engine does not even crank, only the radiator fan start. The lights on the dash turn on when turn the key to on position
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My car did not pass the emission test and I realized the temperature gauge was not working so I replaced it and the gauge started to work normally but after one week the car started overheating and I replaced the thermostat because it was stuck closed. After I replaced the thermostat the car does not start, only the radiator fan runs

Thanks, ***** ***** like the battery is discharged or there is a bad connection at the battery, check the battery terminals connections and try to jump start it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The battery is full charged. I checked with the multimeter

Ok, there is a 80Amp fuse in the fuse panel under the hood, does it have power to it? Is the fuse blown?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check it out tomorrow because at this time is late and dark. I will let you know

That's fine I will be here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks!

You're welcome, good night.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only 80 amps fuse belongs to the alternator

Thanks, ***** ***** alternator fuse supplies power to many other electrical circuits, using your voltmeter inspect all three of those fuses, they must have power to them and not be blown, you can open the plastic cover on each fuse to vheck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fuse is not blown. I check with the multimeter and the electricity is running through
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tested those cables.from the alternator socket
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What should I check now?

Do both cables have 12 volts, if so are the fuses under the cover good?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took the fuses and checked continuity. All are good. What else should I do?

Thanks, ***** ***** to verify that there is voltage at both of those large cable connections please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The cables from fuse box?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
From here?

Yes, both bolts should have voltage.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already did and both have 12.3 volts

Good, earlier you mentioned that the engine dos nothing when the key is turned to start, that means the ignition switch is not getting power to the starter solenoid. When you replaced the thermostat did you disconnect the battery? Have you checked for any other fuses that may have blown both under the hood and on the inside fuse panel, check them with the meter and the key on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a question. Why the radiator fan starts when I turn the key on

It must be getting some feedback voltage from the relay or there is a bad ground, or the temp switch for the fan ontrol is disconnected or has an open circuit, the temp switch for the fan is located on the bottom of the radiator and has a two wire connector on it, if the connector is off the fan ill run with the key on all the time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there!
The temperature switch for the fan is also called cooling fan switch connector?

Yes, on this model and year the switch is located on the bottom of the radiator facing the engine and it has a two wire connector.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My cooling fan switch connector has only one wire and it is located on the thermostat housing.

That's the temperature sender for the gauge on the dash.

let me see if I can get a picture to you that shows the location of the switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the temperature sender for the gauge on the dash panel is located in the other side. I have replaced it before.

Thank, in that first picture, what happens if you disconnect the wire does the fan run with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does. How can I test the cooling fan connector?

Put a jumper wire to ground and see if the fan stops.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. I will let you know. Thanks

Sounds good, I just don't see the correlation between the fan problem and it not starting, have you checked the fuses under the hood and inside yet, I don't remember if I aksed about this before.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i already did. But i did not check the relays

There are three fuses under the hood that have to have 12 volts without the key on, the 80A alternator, 30 A AM! and AM2, be sure these are not blown and have voltage to them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The three fuses have 12 volts. The fan runs with the key on and when I disconnect the cooling fan switch the fan runs stronger. I tested the cooling fan switch with a jumper wire to ground but it doesn't stop.

http://www.rollaclub.com/hosted/AE92_Wiring_Diagram_Supp.pdf

Copy this link into your browser, it's a wiring manual diagram showing where all the relays are, there's also lots of other useful information.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi
How can I test this relay. I don't have the wiring diagram
Customer: replied 21 days ago.