Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1999 Landcruiser w 180,000 miles. well maintained. today

Customer Question

1999 Landcruiser w 180,000 miles. well maintained. today first problem.
drove the kids to school, 20 mile r trip. car sat for an hour or so. would not start, battery strong. turned over rapidly. disconnected battery, cleaned out airfilter. then started right up. drove couple of miles, restarted ok several times. then tried to start again...did not start. Disconnected battery, reconnected battery...no start
seems to not be getting fuel or spark....Possible electronic problem suspected.
Are competent shops able to diagnose electronic problems without replacing things by trial and error. Want to keep the car, but don't want to spend more than 2-3 k ...
any thoughts
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. After it started, and drove a couple miles, was the check engine light illuminated at the instrument panel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is the $26 charge to have you call in addition to the original fee of $36 to answer the question?

The system sends that call stuff via a server program. But the call is available if you want it. There would be an additional charge, yes.

Since the check engine light is not on whilst you are driving, that reduces a lot of possibilities. If you had any kind of electrical/sensor problem, the light would come on and stay on. Without the light being on, electronic diagnosis is not going to help here.

Based on what you are saying, if this vehicle was in my shop, I would be looking for a fuel pressure issue before anything else. If you have no check engine light on, you should have spark. I suspect you have a fuel pump issue. This can be tested easily, parts do not need to be installed to determine if the fuel pump is producing the required pressure.