Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Lost key fob 2007 prius, the fob is lost, I need a new key,

Customer Question

lost key fob 2007 prius
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: the fob is lost
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I need a new key
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 14 days ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

I'm afraid the answer for this question is going to be some bad news, if both keys are lost you'll have to get a Toyota dealer involved, they can get a new smart key fob and then reprogram the computer to match it to the new key, this involves using their diagnostic computer connected to the car and online to Toyota's technical information system, the technician inputs requested information and then gets a code to program the new key(s), there is no alternative as far s I know, access to do this is restricted to Toyota master technicians employed at a dealership, you're next question may be how much does this cost? Usually about $300 or so.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I still have one key. Can I buy another new or used fob on ebay and match it to my car's system?

Thanks for the reply, having one key helps a lot, if you get one on ebay be sure to get one with the same FCC number on the back of your existing keys and if you have the smart key it must be a smart key replacement,, the smart key has a chrome Toyota logo on it. After you get the new key the dealer can program it using your existing key which is far simpler than if you had no key, they should do this for between $60 and $100 depending on where you live.