Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2014 Toyota Sienna XLE. I've never had any kind of

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Toyota Sienna XLE. I've never had any kind of problem with it, but this morning it wouldn't start. Everything electrical I can test without the engine running seems fine: lights, A/C blower, windows, door, radio. It's got plenty of gas. What happens when I try to start it with the Smart Key and Start Button is: engine turns over for a second, then I get this
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: loud, rattling buzz. Sounds like a starter problem to me, but not sure.
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No warning lights or anything that appears out of the ordinary when I go through the steps of trying to start it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's what I know.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The noise you have described can be caused by a few things that need checked into.First loose or corroded battery cables at or leading from the battery or on the starter,second the battery has low amps,the voltage can be o.k. but it may be a failing battery with low amperage which causes this,and third an issue with the starter itself.

I have seen all 3 of these cause this fault here.The first thing that needs done is to have the cables checked to make sure they are clean and tight.If this is o.k. if you can remove the battery and have a local parts store test it to see if it is faulty needing replaced.If it tests o.k. then I suspect the starter is at fault needing replaced.I dont suspect engine damage if it ran properly the last time it shut off so this should be the cause here.A local parts store can test the starter as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete