Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Gas gaguage not reading correctly. Needle is stuck on "full"

Customer Question

Gas gaguage not reading correctly. Needle is stuck on "full" and digital readout reads at about 3/4 full after refilling tank.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Looks likr its getting about 18mpg when it use to get about 23.5mpg
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2015 toyota camry se. Just bout it a little over a month ago from a toyota dealer
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried anything yet. Just noticed it today
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. You are communicating with a real Toyota master tech, I don't know how handy you may be with checking automotive systems out so you'll have to let me know so I can walk you through this. The easiest way to illuminate one or the other if it's the gauge or sending unit is to lift the rear passenger seat then the cover plate to get to the connectors to the sending unit. with the key in on position disconnect the connector. If the gauge goes down the problem is in the sending unit in the fuel tank. I will send a pic to help you out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

A pic will be very helpful

here is the pic of the sending unit' it could be either stuck in the upper most position or shorted out. I also noted you stated you just purchased this just about a month ago? why don't you take it back? When you lift the rear passenger lower seat out you will see a metal cover plate that you have to remove to gain access to the connector.

Going to bed right now but will be available tomorrow to continue if you need to do so.