Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Can't figure out how to get case off of tail light on 97 rav

Customer Question

can't figure out how to get case off of tail light on 97 rav 4. Took all 3 screws out but case is still stiff. afraid to pull too hard and break a clip or something
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: no. took it to o reilys they knew less than me and I know nothing
JA: What is the model of your '97 Toyota?
Customer: recently divorced trying to figure it out by myself
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just trying to change the light bulb. purchased the bulb but can't get the case off the tail light
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is anyone going to answer m e?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Ok, with all 3 screws out, there is a retaining pin on the backside towards the top, so you want to pull a little harder towards the top to free that retaining pin. You pull the assembly straight back to free it. I have attached a link to a video that shows this. Although it is for a 2000 Rav4, the 96-2000 Rav4 were exactly the same on how they come out

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2000_Toyota_RAV4_2.0L_4_Cyl./lights/brake_light

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.