Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years
12772297

I am adding new key, but corola not going to programing

hi i am adding new key, but corola not going to programing mode
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: were lost, i bought new key with remote buttons
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: corola 2010
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, i was following procedure to go to programming mode. but not success
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: chip on the key working fine, its start the car

Hello

I'd suggest to 1st try a general reset of the car by resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

then try the following:

1. The vehicle should be in the following condition-
A. The key is NOT in-
serted in the ignition,
B. The driver's door IS open,
C. The driver’s door is
UNLOCKED.

2. Insert the Key into the ignition switch and then pull it out.

3. Press the Master Door Lock Switch 5 times from Lock to Unlock.

4. Close the Driver's door then open it.

5. Repeat step #3.

6. Now select the mode by inserting the key into the Ignition Switch and turning it to the "Run" or "On" position. The programming mode is determined by the amount of times you go from “key off” to the "key on" position and back before pulling the key out.

A. 1 time is the "Add" mode. This is used only on some models and it allows you to add a remote to the already existing remotes. The ECU confirms this by locking and unlocking the door locks automatically after you remove the key.

B. 2 times is the second mode which will erase all previously programmed remotes and allow you to program new ones. The ECU confirms this mode by locking and unlocking the door locks twice after you remove the key

C. 3 times is the third mode which tells you how many remotes are already programmed to the ECU. It confirms this locking and unlocking the door locks the amount of times applicable to the remotes coded. If no remotes are programmed then the ECU locks and unlocks the door locks 5 times. The ECU will hold up to 4 remotes at any one time.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Matt, sorry for delay. I will rate your answer this Thursday. I didn't try your advise yet, I am trying to locate security code for my radio, can't find any help online. I may call a dealer. Do you know by any chance where security code for radio may locate it?Thank you, David

Hello

You'll need the serial number off the radio first, this'll be located on a sticker on the radio body which will usually mean pulling it out of the dashboard.

Once you have a serial number then someone like

http://www.radio-code.co.uk/

http://www.radio-code.com/

Can provide a code for a small fee

If you check the handbook first though as often the radio code is on a sticker inside the front cover or inside the audio manual.

It would also be worth contacting the local dealership as they often carry the codes for recently built cars ( last 10 years)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Matt, thank you for your respond. I will try your advises.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Matt, today I follow your instructions, take off cables from batterie and hold them together for 15 minute with a C clamp. Time in a car were reset, radio reset and luckily start working without a code. But unfortunately after all steps that I make my car never went to programming mode. Any other suggestions?Thank you, David

Hello David

in that case I'm sorry to say the next step wiil be to visit the dealers

as only they hold the correct kit to programme a key from scratch

sorry its not a more DIY answer but this is often the case for security systems

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thank you