Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1999 Camry bought it new it is in excellent

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Camry bought it new it is in excellent condition 145000 miles maintained 100%. I now hear a "bib" every 3-5 minutes somewhere around the gas cap area, not sure. It sounds like a fire alarm that needs a battery. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Steve K
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It is beautiful, no problem at all.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All maintenance is done by Toyota and recently AAA service that just opened in our town. Everything is followed by the Manual.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How does this work?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 month ago.

Hi. DO you hear this noise when the engine is at idle and you are standing outside the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hear the "bib" noise when the engine is off in the garage. I checked around to make sure there is nothing else that might cause this . My wife tells me that she hears this when the engine is on or off.

Have you tried to take the gas cap off to see if the noise is still there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Eric. I do not wish to pay any more that agreed upon. If you can not answer this I think we can end this. I think $20.00 for a question is fair.

Not sure what you mean I am not asking you for money. You didnt respond to my last question. I'll opt-out.

Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Different expert here. What I believe you are hearing ( I would have to hear it in person to affirm this) is the reed valve opening inside the charcoal canister. When fuel vapor pressure builds up, the reed valve opens to allow this vapor to exit the tank into the activated charcoal where it is stored until it is consumed by the engine. Some reed valves are noisy (Tacomas are notorious for this), some are not. As long as the Check Engine light is not illuminated at the dash, I would not be concerned about any negative issues form the noise. A nuisance, yes, but nothing detrimental. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input on this request. Thanks.