Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

06 corolla radio windows ac wont work, Yep, Fuses, No

Customer Question

06 corolla radio windows ac wont work
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Yep
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

would that be both fuse boxes , interior one ,did you use a test light or you pulled them out individually and checked

how many miles on it ?

do you hear any clicking relays under dash

is there any work been done prior could have contributed to this

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both boxes. Just visual checked fuses and even replaced with new ones. No clicking sounds that we heard. The radio fuse had blown like 3 times over last few months. Changed radio fuse and tested it and found ac windows radio dont work. I'm pretty handy i doubt that i made a mIstake I've triple checked everything. The car hasn't been drove in like 2 weeks due to vacation so havnt heard clicking or anything. I feel like it would be like a main relay somewhere or somthing.

Check the p/w relay in the instrument pane box

i sent you the location of it

pull out the radio and look at the connector and inspect for any backed out pins making poor contact , melted spots , burned spots

if all good try this below procedure

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Master reset did not work. Did u email me location of p/w relay? Is p/w relay located behind radio?

yes ,press the first blue link, it is in the instrument panel driver side left of the steering bottom left

look at the 2nd link it will show the fuse panel where relay is

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would the p/w relay failure result in radio ac and windows all not work? So its located on onside of interior fuse panel?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh ok i see. So after paying now i wait around a day in hopes of a toyota mechanic to message me when i first decided to pay it led me to believe i would be in contact with a toyota mechanic.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see chad changed his title from owner and a.s.e. certified to toyota mechanic sometime in last 24 hrs but i have yet to hear a response from another mechanic. Would really love to have someone help a paying customer
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Hello, let me see if I can help you with this, do you happen to have a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter? Have you checked the 30A Power fuse in the fuse panel on the inside?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
have multi meter. Checked 30amp p/w fuse under dash reading over 12. The car will start but will not shift out of park. Tail and brake lights work. Thanks for your help

Thanks, ***** ***** I understand, the windows don't work, the radio, the a/c and it won't come out of park, is there power on the 'gauge' fuse (key 0n) on both sides of the fuse contacts on top.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No gauge lights. Getting 12 on both sides of 30amp with key on
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hold on i checked wrong one let me check gauge one. Sorry
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No power on either side of 10amp gauge fuse with key in on position

Ok, this makes it a little easier, I'll have to see where the voltage for it is coming from.

Power comes from a relay called IG 1, do the windshield wipers work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No wipers dont work even with car running. I also checked both sides of fuse with car on and wipers on and only got a reading of like .01-.02 on both sides

Ok, I'm trying to narrow this down til I find the problem, do the brake lights work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
brake lights do work

Ok, seems there is a problem with the IG1 relay, it's in the fuse box on the inside to the right of that P/W relay you looked at earlier, pull the relay out and with the key on it has to have power to two of the terminals in the socket.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok checking relay sockets now be right back with u asap
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I've got to it. There at 3 relays that are the exact same. Can u tell me if its the one closest to the steering wheel or the one furthest from steering wheel?

According to my diagram there are three, it is the middle one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The diagram that the 1st mechanic sent me shows the p/w relay in the middle and the IRL relay to the right of it . I guess i will try and test both.

Sorry, the IG1 relay is to the right of the P/w relay in the diagram. If there are 12 volts to two terminals try swapping it with the C/opn relay( it's for the fuel pump) but doesn't matter since you're not starting the engine to just test.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
then test the fuse or see if everything works?

Make sure the fuse is in and put the relay in, let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Changed the relay out. Turn key on. Nothing seemed to work. Then tested 30 amp p/w fuse on both sides and getting juice now

What about the gauge fuse, is it getting power now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gauge fuse is not getting power. Thanks for all your help

It is NOT getting power? If not remove the IG1 relay and tell me which terminals are getting power looking at the diagram from earlier.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just checked the gauge fuse again and it is getting only .01-.02 on both sides i will try and test relay now and message u

OK.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tested them and couldn't get a reading higher than .02. I tried multiple times pretty sure its not getting any power there
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I Just shifted the car into reverse having to use the manual button and noticed that i dont have any reverse lights if that helps at all

Looking at the diagram, terminals 1 and 5 have to have power with the key on.

The #1 terminal gets power from the ignition switch when it's in the on position and #5 gets power directly from the battery through the 100 amp alternator fuse. Maybe it has a bad ignition switch.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have triple checked both the #1 and the #5 and no juice. I replaced the 100amp yesterday maybe it was a bad one i doubt it. I was thinking ignition switch too but the the #5 should have been working. Neither one is getting power though

I think you should recheck the 100 a fuse installation it sounds like one of the wires was not connected. There is a black and one white wire going to the switch, these should be hot at all times as well as the white wire coming from the alternator fuse, it sounds like the problem is right there at the fuse.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah i will double check the 100 amp install. I'm sure the 10mm side was properly done but i cant tell u that the 8mm side is correctly installed. Thanks for your help. I will contact u tommorow around 6pm and let you know if i have made any progress

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey ted. I know the left side of the 100amp fuse is connected with a 10mm bolt to a wire. Can you tell me if the right side with the 8mm bolt is supposed to be connecting a wire also???
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or does it make its connection internally writhing the fuse box?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

The 8mm bolt has wires attached also, I believe there are two and the may be black, if there is no connection to the 8mm bolt it explains everything.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm at work and trying to have wife look. Lol. I got to thinking about it this morning and that would make sense. Will let u know around 6pm est. Thanks for your help.

It's about the only thing that makes sense based on what we checked so far.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Having hard time finding any wires that are not connected anywhere. Do u have any type of diagram u could send to maybe see what the 8mm wires come from. It looks like the 10mm Side goes to the interior of the car

Let me see what I can do, That fuse has a connection where the poswer comes in( the white heavy wires) then the 8mm bolt has wires going to the ignition switch and tyo some other fuses for the car's electrical system, there have to be wires attached to it, otherwise why have the fuse? I have to step out for a bit, about an hour, I have a wiring diagram so I will most likely be able to upload something that will help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's what i got. I see the 2 white wires. Yeah i agree there has to be other wires i just cant track them down.

Thanks, ***** ***** send me a picture of the fuse box top view?