Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

MY 2000 TOYOTA 4WD TRD HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE REAR TIRE

Customer Question

MY 2000 TOYOTA 4WD TRD HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE REAR TIRE LOCKING UP AND BINDING THAN SNAPS FREE?
JA: The Toyota Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I REMOVED THE 3RD MEMBER AND HAD IT GONE THROUGH WITH NEW BEARINGS, ETC. tHE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS. I THINK IT MY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE ELECTRIC GEAR DRIVE FOR THE POSITRACTION ACTUATOR
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: THE TIRES ARE IN NEW CONDITION LESS THAT 100 MILES. iT WAS DOING IT ONLY WHEN YOU FIRST MOVE IT AND THAT IT WOULD NOT DO IT. NOW YOU ONLY GO ABOUT 3 FEET AND IT BINDS UP AGAIN FOWARD AND BACKWARD.
JA: What is the model of your '00 Toyota?
Customer: TOYOTA TACOMA SR5 TRD
JA: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. When I pulled the thired member to have it checked out the ring and pinion were in good shape, the axles were also in good shape. I could manual move the posi-traction gear buy hand to make sure it was not locked. I put the transfercase in neutral when it was binding. At first when I pushed it by hand it was still binding but broke free and would roll forward and backwards
JA: No, you can ask a one off question to try things out. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please describe when this binding/lockup/release happens. On acceleration, deceleration, only on turns, or when braking. Thanks