Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

We have a 2002 toyota sequoia that has been starting just

Customer Question

We have a 2002 toyota sequoia that has been starting just fine. Then my husband tried to start it today and it wont start. The security light is blinking. Could this be a problem with the alarm system or something keeping the car from starting?
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: No we have not tried to reset the security system. How would you do that?
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: When the car is locked the security light is solid. When it unlocked it is blinking. When we try to start it is still blinking. It acts like it wants to start but wont
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are actually at a hotel right now and trying to figure out if this is something we can do ourselves or if we need to have it towed to a mechanic We are about 6 hours from home
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 19 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please describe exactly what the engine does when you try to start it. Then go out and observe the following: With the headlamps ON, and the key turned to start, what do the headlamps do (dim, stay bright, nothing, go off, etc). Please advise.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We tried jumping it and that did not work

If your battery is absolutely dead, it may not 'jump'. Try this: Hook the jumpers to the donor car normally. On the other car (that won't crank), hook the RED jumper wire to the POSITIVE Battery terminal/cable as normal. Do NOT hook the black jumper to the battery negative post. Clamp the BLACK jumper clamp onto something metal on the motor. Then start the donor car and try to start yours. This trick 'bypasses' the battery on the non-starting car. See if that works.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We tried that. It is not the battery

Do you hear a single click noise from under the hood when the key is turned to start?