Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Replaced battery and now car won't even turn over. Interior

Customer Question

Replaced battery and now car won't even turn over. Interior light, headlights and horn and open doo bell work.nothin else. Turn the key, and nothing.
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: Can't seem to find anything
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2010 toyota Camry se
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked all fuses, tried to check all grounds. Replaced corroded battery portal connectors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car was fine until we put new battery in.the first battery the Ashton part store gave him was the wrong one. When he tried to install it, the hot was randomly going off. After he figured out the battery was the wrong one, he went back and they gave him the right one. And now the car won't start at all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you have the wrong battery installed, you most likely have a blown High Current fuse. Is the car available for a quick visual examination? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not at this moment

In the center of the fuse panel under the hood is a cartridge that contains the high current fuse. It would be listed as the ALT fuse on the decal on the box. Look at this unit closely and see if the wire filament is burnt into 2 pieces (just like a blown fuse). If it is not a solid piece of fuse wire, this is your problem. Unfortunately, this fuse, due to the high amperage current that passes thru it, this unit is bolted onto the buss bars in the fuse panel. You cannot pull this fuse out without you destroying it. In order to replace this ALT fuse, you need to remove as take the fuse panel apart. If you are not skilled with doing this; I strongly recommend you seek a qualified tech to do it. It is very easy to break the fuse panel retention latches by prying it apart improperly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thank you

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer