Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

My car's heater works, but the defroster doesn't, my coolant

Customer Question

My car's heater works, but the defroster doesn't
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: my coolant is OK and there are no leaks
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1999 Toyota Camry
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything and I'm fixing it my self
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 17 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When you say the heater works but the defroster does not work, do you mean heat blows onto the floor but there is no air blowing to the defrost vents (hot or cold)?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Thank you. On the left side of the heater/AC casing (the side of the heater box that is closest to the gas pedal) is a small electronic device. This is called the Air Blend Servo-motor. The servo-motor is responsible for moving the internal baffles inside the heater box to the various positions (floor, floor/center dash, defrost, etc). If the servo motor is faulty, it will not move properly to direct the air upward thru the defrost vents. The servo-motor is a small square thing with a wire connector and 3 screws. The first thing I recommend you do here is to locate it on the left side of the heater box, and, with the help of an assistant, have them cycle the Air-mode control thru the various choices repeatedly (the key needs to be ON for this test). While your assistant is doing that, you tap on the side of the servo motor with a small hammer. Just tap, do not beat on it. 50% of the time the servo is just stuck. It may start to operate, for a short time. If that does not work, I would recommend obtaining a replacement servo motor.