Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I have a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The AC stopped blowing cold

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The AC stopped blowing cold all the sudden. I have replaced the relay already. But now it is also making a load groaning noise when I turn on the AC.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 190000. Car starts and runs great. Just the AC.
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced the magnetic clutch relay.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thats it.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome

This groaning noise, is it there as long as the compressor is on? Does the a/c light blink? Have the Freon pressures been checked?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I believe the compressor is on. A/c light is blinking. Pressures have not been checked.

The light is blinking because there may be a problem with the compressor clutch or the compressor, the noise may be indication of a failing compressor, since the compressor is running it seems that there is enough Freon pressure to keep the clutch engaged, the compressor may not be providing enough pressure to circulate the coolant to make the system work and cool the evaporator. I would recommend having the a/c pressures checked to see what the compressor is actually doing as far as high and low pressures are concerned, this is usually the first thing I do when there is an a/c problem. Most auto repair shops will do a simple a/c diagnostic check ehich includes a pressure test, they may make a repair procedure for you but you can still reply here with the results and I'll be glad to give you another opinion.